Friday, September 27 9AM-2PM
Are you ready to start sewing your own Handmade Wardrobe? The Lou Box Top is the first pattern in our Wardrobe Basic Series. The top is a simple boxy style shirt from Sew DIY. There are multiple views included in the pattern, and for this class we will all sew the straight hem version. Once you have the basics down you will be able to sew a variety of different shirts all from this one pattern!
This class will focus on the basics of garment sewing. Learn how to read a sewing pattern, trace and cut your size, simple garment construction techniques and how to make and sew on bias binding. You will leave with a garment you proudly made yourself!
We have made every effort to be size inclusive in selecting our Wardrobe Basics patterns. During class we can grade between the sizes included in the pattern but we will not have enough time to completely grade up or down to a size not included in the pattern. The Lou Box Top is drafted to fit a 32" to 58" bust with about 10" of ease. If you have questions about sizing please contact the shop.
This class has a prerequisite:
- Completion of our Machine Basics class
- OR basic knowledge of AND some experience using a sewing machine
What you'll learn:
- Layout and cut a pattern from your fabric
- Maintain an even seam allowance while sewing
- Proper pressing techniques for sewing
- Turning corners on the machine
- Tips and tricks for even top stitching
- Lou Box Top pattern purchased from Sew DIY
- enough fabric to sew your size*
- contrasting binding fabric (optional)
- Coordinating thread
- sewing machine needle (appropriate type and size for fabric) – no need to bring your own machine, we will use the Janome machines in our sewing studio
*Students receive 10% off any supplies purchased from EWE Fibers for the class.
You will need to have your PDF pattern printed before the first session. We can have your PDF pattern printed for you and ready for class (we need a few days notice for this). You can also print you pattern at home and tape it together.
Before class, 'rough cut' your pattern pieces. This means you should cut around the pieces but not actually cut on the lines for your size. This way we don't have to lay large pieces of paper on the table. Also, print out and bring the sewing instructions with you to class.
Pre-wash, dry, and press your fabric as needed before class.
Please familiarize yourself with our class policies before enrolling.