Wednesday, Oct. 16, 11AM to 3PM
Friday, Oct 18, 11:00AM to 2:30PM
The Estuary Skirt is a great wardrobe basic with endless sewing options. Sew it at various lengths, with or without pockets, and change the look by using different types of fabrics. Come join us for some weekday sewing and make yourself a skirt!
Wednesday, 11:00AM - 3:00PM
First you will choose the best size to sew and determine if and how you should grade between sizes before cutting out your pattern pieces.
We have made every effort to be size inclusive in selecting our Wardrobe Basics patterns. During class we can grade between the sizes included in the pattern but we will not have enough time to completely grade up or down to a size not included in the pattern. The Estuary Skirt is drafted to fit a 25" to 48.5" waist and a 33.5" to 57" hip. If you have questions about sizing please contact the shop.
You will lay out your pattern pieces and cut your fabric. You will begin assembling the skirt, completing the pockets, front placket, buttonholes, and flat felling the side seams.
In this session, you will finish assembling the skirt by attaching the waistband, gathering the front skirt, and adding the elastic in the back. You will finish by hemming your skirt.
This class has a prerequisite:
- Completion Sewing 101 or Wardrobe Basics: Lou Box Top class
- OR knowledge of AND experience using a sewing machine to complete a full project (such as the Lou Box Top)
- Able to use a machine to sew reliably straight lines with consistent seam allowance at a medium speed
- Understanding of basic sewing/fabric concepts, including: grainline, bias, seam allowance, and basting stitch
- Able to layout and cut a pattern from your fabric
- Experience ironing seams (open, to the front/back) as instructed in a pattern
What you'll learn:
- How to create a gathered skirt
- How to sew patch pockets
- Proper pressing techniques for sewing a garment
- Tips and tricks for even top stitching
- How to sew an elastic waistband
- How to sew buttonholes
- How to work a flat-felled seam
- Estuary skirt pattern purchased from Sew Liberated
- enough fabric to sew your size*
- Coordinating thread
- 8-12 buttons to match your fabric
- sewing machine needle (appropriate type and size for fabric) – no need to bring your own machine, we will use the Janome machines in our sewing studio
Please note, this is an intensive sewing class. We have organized the class and scheduled enough time so you should be able to finish your skirt during class time. This assumes that you will be here on time, be working most of the time and take just a few short breaks. We do find that people have different needs and sew at different rates, so with this in mind, we cannot guarantee that you will finish your project by the end of the class.
*Students receive 10% off any supplies purchased from EWE Fibers for the class.
You will need to have your PDF pattern printed before the first session. We can have your PDF pattern printed for you and ready for class (we need a few days notice for this). You can also print you pattern at home and tape it together.
Before class, 'rough cut' your pattern pieces. This means you should cut around the pieces but not actually cut on the lines for your size. This way we don't have to lay large pieces of paper on the table. Also, print out and bring the sewing instructions with you to class.
Pre-wash, dry, and press your fabric as needed before class.
Please familiarize yourself with our class policies before enrolling.