You will want a closet full of Lou Box Tops! In the shop we sew and wear this shirt all the time..
The top is a simple boxy style shirt from Sew DIY. There are multiple hem options included in the pattern, and for this class we will all sew the straight hem version. Once you have the basics down you will be able to sew a variety of different shirts all from this one pattern! There is even a sleeve expansion pattern so you can add a sleeve cuff, 3/4 or long sleeve. Check out some Lou Box Top inspiration here.
Are you ready to start sewing your own Handmade Wardrobe? The Lou Box Top is the easiest pattern in our Wardrobe Basic Series.
This class will focus on the basics of garment sewing. Learn how to read a sewing pattern, trace and cut your size, simple garment construction techniques and how to make and sew on bias binding. You will leave with a garment you proudly made yourself!
We have made every effort to be size inclusive in selecting our Wardrobe Basics patterns. During class we can grade between the sizes included in the pattern but we will not have enough time to completely grade up or down to a size not included in the pattern. The Lou Box Top is drafted to fit a 32" to 58" bust with about 10" of ease. If you have questions about sizing please contact the shop.
This class has a prerequisite:
- Completion of our Machine Basics class
- OR basic knowledge of AND the ability to sew a straight seam on a sewing machine.
What you'll learn:
- Layout and cut a pattern from your fabric
- Maintain an even seam allowance while sewing
- Proper pressing techniques for sewing
- Turning corners on the machine
- Tips and tricks for even top stitching
- The importance of, and how to understich
- How to sew a beautiful binding
- enough fabric to sew your size* (Depending on your size you will need 1.5 to 2 yards of fabric)
- coordinating thread*
- The Lou Box top pattern is included in the class fee (pattern + printing = $18 value). Students will receive a digital copy of the pattern and instructions for future use.
- – no need to bring your own machine, we will use the Janome machines in our sewing studio
*Students receive 10% off any supplies purchased from EWE Fibers for the class.
Pre-wash, dry, and press your fabric as needed before class.
Please familiarize yourself with our class policies before enrolling.