Knitting Math for Curves and Capsule Wardrobe Workshop are being offered as a weekend series taught by the fabulous Jacqueline Cieslak. You can register for one or both classes as desired.
It is one thing to decide to respect the body you have (instead of the body you wish you had); it is another thing to know how to create clothes that actually fit it. Part math, part self-love journey, this body-affirming class will teach you the skills to approach knitting as a practice of acknowledging, honoring, and clothing your unique body.
During class, each student will have the chance to practice the math for various adjustments according to their particular measurements. Students will leave with a customized step-by-step guide for modifying any given pattern to fit their body and invaluable body positive affirmations from a community of like-minded knitters.
- Knit, purl, increase/decrease using k2tog and ssk
- Experience knitting at least one sweater from start to finish
- Recommended: experience with short rows of any kind
- Recommended: experience wearing handknit sweaters
What you'll learn:
- How to recognize underlying fit issues that make you feel un/comfortable in clothes and find solutions
- How to apply a body positive perspective to questions of “comfort”
- How to read a gauge swatch and know what those numbers actually mean in terms of sizing/fit
- An overview of the most common types of sweater construction and the unique fit issues for each type
- How to select the best size for your body/comfort in a knitting pattern
- When and how to use some of the most common adjustments in knitting, such as different kinds of bust darts, waist/belly shaping, and shoulder/bicep adjustments
We will be working with two example patterns during class. You only need a gauge swatch for *one* of them, but you can choose to do both if you would like.
- REQUIRED: 1 or 2 gauge swatch(es) (instructions provided below)
- OPTIONAL: Bring along a print out of an aspirational knitting pattern — something you would like to make but you are uncertain about sizing/any modifications — and an additional blocked gauge swatch with the yarn/needles you intend to use.
*Students receive 10% off any supplies purchased for the class.
Knit and block AT LEAST ONE gauge swatch to bring to class. You can do both if you want but only one is required. Choose one from the following two options:
** Gauge swatch option 1: aim for 19 sts and 28 rows over 4"/10 cm
Yarn: DK/light worsted
Recommended needles: US 6
Cast on 30 sts. Work 3 rows in garter stitch, then work 40 rows in stockinette with 3 stitches in garter stitch on either edge. Finish with 3 rows in garter stitch. Bind off and wet block.
** Gauge swatch option 2: aim for 11.5 sts and 20 rows over 4"/10 cm
Recommended needles: US 10.5
Cast on 20 sts. Work 3 rows in garter stitch, then work 30 rows in stockinette with 3 stitches in garter stitch on either edge. Finish with 3 rows in garter stitch. Bind off and wet block.
Please familiarize yourself with our class policies before enrolling.