Friday, Oct. 4, 6-7PM
Saturday, Oct 5, 1PM-5PM
Sunday, Oct 6, 10AM-1:30PM
The Estuary Skirt is a great wardrobe basic with endless sewing options. Sew it at various lengths, with or without pockets, and change the look by using different types of fabrics. Come join us for a weekend intensive class and sew yourself a skirt!
Friday, 6:00PM - 7:00PM
In this short session, you will choose the best size to sew and determine if and how you should grade between sizes before cutting out your pattern pieces. There will also be time to select and purchase your fabric, so long as you are certain you will be able to pre-wash, dry, and iron it before class on Saturday. You will also need to cut out your paper pattern pieces before Saturday's class.
We have made every effort to be size inclusive in selecting our Wardrobe Basics patterns. During class we can grade between the sizes included in the pattern but we will not have enough time to completely grade up or down to a size not included in the pattern. The Estuary Skirt is drafted to fit a 25" to 48.5" waist and a 33.5" to 57" hip. If you have questions about sizing please contact the shop.
In this session, you will lay out your pattern pieces and cut your fabric. You will begin assembling the skirt, completing the pockets, front placket, buttonholes, and flat felling the side seams.
In this session, you will finish assembling the skirt by attaching the waistband, gathering the front skirt, and adding the elastic in the back. You will finish by hemming your skirt.
This class has a prerequisite:
- Completion Sewing 101 or Wardrobe Basics: Lou Box Top class
- OR knowledge of AND experience using a sewing machine to complete a full project (such as the Lou Box Top)
- Able to use a machine to sew reliably straight lines with consistent seam allowance at a medium speed
- Understanding of basic sewing/fabric concepts, including: grainline, bias, seam allowance, and basting stitch
- Able to layout and cut a pattern from your fabric
- Experience ironing seams (open, to the front/back) as instructed in a pattern
What you'll learn:
- How to create a gathered skirt
- How to sew patch pockets
- Proper pressing techniques for sewing a garment
- Tips and tricks for even top stitching
- How to sew an elastic waistband
- How to sew buttonholes
- How to work a flat-felled seam
- Estuary skirt pattern purchased from Sew Liberated
- enough fabric to sew your size*
- Coordinating thread
- 8-12 buttons to match your fabric
- sewing machine needle (appropriate type and size for fabric) – no need to bring your own machine, we will use the Janome machines in our sewing studio
Please note, this is an intensive sewing class. We have organized the class and scheduled enough time so you should be able to finish your skirt during class time. This assumes that you will be here on time, be working most of the time and take just a few short breaks. We do find that people have different needs and sew at different rates, so with this in mind, we cannot guarantee that you will finish your project by the end of the class.
*Students receive 10% off any supplies purchased from EWE Fibers for the class.
You will need to have your PDF pattern printed before the first session. We can have your PDF pattern printed for you and ready for class (we need the a few days notice for this). Bring the pattern and printed sewing instructions with you to class.
Remember to pre-wash, dry, and press your fabric before the second session.
Please familiarize yourself with our class policies before enrolling.