Are you looking for a beginner sewing class, but not interested in making a shirt? Please check out our apron class, which also offers beginning sewing instruction for making a basic apron.
Saturday: April 13, 3–6 PM & Sunday: April 14, 1-3 PM
Are you ready to start sewing your own Handmade Wardrobe? In this 5 hour - 2 day, beginner garment class you will learn how to make a shirt. Shirt no.1 is a great basic boxy shirt from 100 Acts of Sewing. The simple casual style is a great starting point to build your garment making techniques. The easy wearing shirt is a great statement piece in a fun fabric, or can also be a simple layering piece.
This class will focus on the basics of garment sewing. Learn how to read a sewing pattern, trace and cut your size, basic garment construction techniques and how to make and sew on bias binding. You will leave with a garment you proudly made yourself!
This class has a prerequisite:
- Completion of our Machine Basics class
- OR basic knowledge of AND some experience using a sewing machine
What you'll learn:
- Layout and cut a pattern from your fabric
- Maintain an even seam allowance while sewing
- Proper pressing techniques for sewing
- Turning corners on the machine
- Tips and tricks for even top stitching
Shirt No. 1 pattern by 100 Acts of Sewing
- enough fabric to sew your size*
- contrasting binding fabric (optional)
- Coordinating thread
- sewing machine needle (appropriate type and size for fabric) – no need to bring your own machine, we will use the Janome machines in our sewing studio
*Students receive 10% off any supplies purchased for the class.
*Full bust measurement (your body size):
XS: 32 inches (81 cm); S: 35 inches (89 cm);
M: 38 inches (97 cm); L: 41 inches (104 cm);
XL: 44 inches (112 cm); 2XL: 47 inches (119 cm);
3XL: 50 inches (127 cm); 4XL: 53 inches (135 cm)
Light weight cotton lawn or voile, linen, rayon or natural fiber blend woven fabric (no jersey or knits)
XS: 1 1/2 yards (1.4 m); S-M: 1 1/2 yards (1.4 m); L-XL: 1 3/4 yards (1.6 m); 2X-3X: 1 3/4 yards (1.6 m); 4X: 1 3/4 yards (1.6 m)
Pre-wash, dry, and press your fabric as needed before class.
Please familiarize yourself with our class policies before enrolling.