Friday, June 14, 5-6PM
Saturday, June 15, 2-6PM
Sunday, June 16, 2-6PM
This class will walk you through the entire process for creating a Metamorphic dress by Sew Liberated. The 3-part class is organized as follows:
In this short session, you will choose what size to make and determine if and how you should grade between sizes before cutting out your pattern pieces. You can also select your fabric at this time, so long as you are certain you will be able to pre-wash, dry, and iron it before the next session. You will also need to cut out your paper pattern pieces before the next class.
In this first 4-hour session, you will lay out your pattern pieces and cut your fabric. You will begin assembling the dress, completing the pockets and attaching at least one of the gathered skirt pieces.
In this second 4-hour session, you will finish assembling the dress, completing the gathered skirt pieces and learning how to use the "burrito method." You will finish by hemming your dress.
This class has a prerequisite:
- Completion of one of our Sewing 101 classes
- OR knowledge of AND experience using a sewing machine to complete a full project (such as the Shirt No. 1)
What you'll learn:
- Layout and cut a pattern from your fabric
- How to create a gathered skirt
- How to sew 2 types of pockets: patch pockets and side seam pockets
- Proper pressing techniques for sewing a garment
- Tips and tricks for even top stitching
- The "burrito method" for making a reversible garment
- Metamorphic dress pattern by Sew Liberated
- enough fabric to sew your size*
- Coordinating thread
- sewing machine needle (appropriate type and size for fabric) – no need to bring your own machine, we will use the Janome machines in our sewing studio
*Students receive 10% off any supplies purchased for the class.
If you are using an electronic pattern, you need to print your pattern (and assemble it, if you choose the print-at-home version) before the first session. Bring the pattern and printed instructions with you.
You need to pre-wash, dry, and press your fabric before the second session.
Please familiarize yourself with our class policies before enrolling.